Applause???

September 3, 2008 at 10:18 pm (Attitude in Overdrive, Politics) (, , , , , , , , )

I’ve been fired up over Senator McCain’s choice of Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate.  I’m so fired up, I don’t know where to start.  If you don’t want my opinion of her, then read no further.

*****

Perhaps I should start with her abortion platform. I am not pro-abortion, I am pro-choice. I do not believe abortion should be used as a continous means of birth control, however, those who make the choice to have an abortion should find it safe and legal. Having an abortion is an extremely personal choice and I believe that is between you, your Higher Power, your conscience, and your doctor. I do not believe in partial birth abortion, unless it is for extreme circumstances.

I believe if you are raped, you should have the right to chose to have an abortion.

I believe if you’re a 12 year old girl who has been raped by a family member, you should have the right to chose to have an abortion (with appropriate counseling).

I believe if your life is in danger, you should have the right to chose to have an abortion.

As a mother, and one who chose to be, I am well aware of life, and how life grows within my body. I hope I am NEVER in the position to have to contemplate abortion, however, if I am, I want it to be my choice, and I want it to be safe and legal.

Governor Sarah Palin believes none of those things.

******

Governor Palin believes in abstinence-only education and will not support government funding of hard core sex education. How’s that working for ya, Gov’na?  So you’re proud of your daughter’s decision to have her baby?  Under your regime, she wouldn’t have any choice. Are you proud that your abstinence education worked? Are you proud to spotlight teen pregnancy and be a “normal family?” That’s an insult to every “normal” family who doesn’t have a teen pregnancy. That’s an insult to me, a mother, who plans on teaching her son the hard core truth about sex and its responsibilities, about the emotional toll, about the possible STDs that can be transmitted, and yes, about abstinence.

I remained abstinent until I was well past 20 years old. So, as far as talking to my teenager about remaining abstinent, I won’t be a hypocrite. There was a very good article on CNN about combining the techniques of abstinence and hard core sex ed by Roland S. Martin. Both parties should listen.

******

Governor Palin’s foreign policy extends to the fact she is governor of Alaska and that’s close to Russia, so… foreign policy via osmosis?  Let me tell you how much more experience I have. I have met with Representatives of the German government and talked politics with them. I have visited eight foreign countries, and lived in one for a year, not as a bystanding-living-on-a-base-attending-an-American-high-school-individual, but as a guest citizen, speaking their language, abiding by their rules, and learning their culture. 

Travel to foreign countries helps you develop a better view of how we are all interconnected and how American policies affect the entire world. Being able to spit on a foreign country from your back door is not the same thing. And being so close to Russia… why hasn’t she ever visited??? And really, the indigenous tribes of Alaska don’t count.

******

She does support the development of oil and natural gas in Alaska, however, she’s not exactly climate or conservation friendly. I am well aware of the need of America to become less dependent upon oil, much less foreign oil, but not wanting to list the polar bear as an engangered species because it would upset your oil and gas business doesn’t set well with me. I have friends in the gas business here in WV and I know what they can do and how they do it because we discuss it over lunch. There can be a balance between obtaining natural resources and maintaining wildlife.

She also believes that global warming is not man-made. I may give her part of that, because I really believe that as everything cycles, so does the Earth, but by the Lady’s eyelashes, we’re not helping anything! You really want me to believe that the chemical plant across the river from me that blew up last week is not releasing environmentally damaging toxins into the air along with the putrid smell and their “everlasting” flame that “burns off” any toxic substances. Yeah. Listen, Gov’na, I was born at night, but it wasn’t last night. I have eyes, I can read the amount of fines they’ve paid in the past years due to their non-environmentally friendly dumping, spillage, and air quality standards. Pfft.

Humans ARE very much responsible for global warming.  Check this out.

*******

I commend the “First Dude” for resigning from his job (for a period of time) as a production manager with BP due to some legislation Governor Palin was destined to be a part of, but, frankly, and I’m not sure the rest of America feels the way that I do, but I’ve had enough of anyone connected to oil. The oil barons have run this country into the ground for the past eight years and I’m done. I’m also not particularly fond of the “First Dude” encouraging those unable to pay for college to become a part of the gas and oil movement. Why not make college affordable? And, by the way, awarding the 500 million dollars in seed money to a Canadian organization to build and operate the 26 billion dollar natural gas pipeline from the North Slope to the rest of us poor Americans, classic.  

That’s a lot of college educations, or, maybe even jobs for those who can’t afford an education. I wonder how many Americans TransCanada is going to employ. I can say, it was a good day to be Canadian.

Maybe she should have used some of Alaska’s government surplus to create a program to help those who can’t afford college.

*******

She believes that being in Iraq is part of God’s plan. What. The fuck. God’s plan for what, exactly? And, pardon me, but who do you think you are to determine what God’s plan is?  Are you Mary or Joan of Arc now? Has God sent down a messenger from Heaven to you? What a crock!  Governor, you seem to have decent intelligence and you’ve got a lot of moxy, which I can really appreciate, but expecting me to believe that the US invasion of Iraq is God’s Will, is as insulting as believing that it is Allah’s Will to kill all Americans or that I’ll vote for you and Senator McCain simply because you have a uterus.

God’s Will does not extend and should not be used as an excuse by any government to justify their actions. Its a sidestep of responsibility that is so HEINOUS I’m ashamed you said it. Appalled beyond belief doesn’t come close to how I feel about your statement and the release of responsibility of OUR GOVERNMENT for their actions by blowing it off on God. I definitely do not know or even proclaim to know in the least little bit what God’s Plan or Will is, but based on what I know, I can only imagine that She’s shaking her heard in shame. Again, classic.

*******

I don’t care that you can field dress a moose, big whoop, I can field dress a deer, and given a dead moose and a fairly sharp knife, I figure I could strip out a moose as well. However, I can say your chances of knowing to stay behind Dick Cheney while he’s hunting, are greater than the average person.

*****

I make no excuses for the way I feel. If you agree, you do. If you don’t, you don’t. You have the right to vote just as I do, and you have a right to blog, just as I do. Feel free to disagree, but keep it clean and respectful.

Advertisements

18 Comments

  1. cybele said,

    It’s kind of a wacky choice, isn’t it? I mean, who is this woman, anyhow?
    Ann Richardson, (former?) governor of Texas has always seemed capable. I am not nuts about her or her policies, but I’m no Republican, so that’s okay. There may be drama with her, though, too. I just haven’t heard any.

  2. cybele said,

    I meant Ann Richards, and she died. So I guess we can’t blame McCain for not choosing her. oops ma bad.

  3. Zelda said,

    I love you, Nanner, but I must respectfully and vehemently disagree. Every single item you mentioned with the exception of abortion is, at best, only partly true.

    She is fine with birth control, and the only thing she has said about sex ed is that she opposes “explicit” sex ed, which was never defined. She never said, nor has she enacted any legislation that mandates abstinence only education.

    She also does not support teaching creationism in schools. What she said was that the subject of creation should not be stifled. The policy in Alaskan schools has been the teaching of evolution, and she has not introduced or enacted any legislation to change that policy. When asked, she took the position that there was no reason not to discuss it, which is far different than mandating something be taught. I think most politicians and even teachers worth their salt shouldn’t fear dialogue.

    As for visiting Russia, Alaska is a big state. I live in Texas and I’ve never been to Mexico because while it borders Mexico, it’s still 8 hours away. I think this is a rather unfair dig. She knows what is going on there and why we should not be dependent on their oil.

    And the jury is most decidedly out on the subject of human caused global warming. Mars is also warming at a faster rate than the Earth. Obviously there are no humans on Mars. One theory is that solar output is the main cause of global warming/cooling and that humans have only a very small effect. Not enough to make a significant difference in climate.

    And regardless of any of that, both sides seem to agree that we need to get off foreign oil. We are at the mercy of some very, very evil governments until we do.

    She definitely supports drilling because we need it now. But she also signed a bill to spend $250 million on renewable resources, solar, wind, etc., which she says will be just as important to Alaska’s economy as oil. And before you say that’s an insignificant amount, remember that it’s cheaper to develop these energies than it is to drill, not to mention being one of the greatest amounts of money given by a state government for the development of alternative resources. But even the Democrats are relenting on their drilling stance now that the price of gas is so high.

    Sarah Palin took part of the surplus in her state which amounted to the gas tax, and refunded it. I think that was a good thing. More than anyone in DC or TX has done.

    And she went with the Canadian company to put in the pipeline because they were the lowest bidder. Her job is to save the taxpayers money. The only Americans who don’t get that money are the corporations because Alaskans be the ones working that pipeline regardless of who has the contract. But really, there are no shortage of jobs in Alaska. I know because Jethro and I seriously considered moving there. Apparently they need chiropractors and members of just about any other profession you can think of. I think, as long as jobs are not a concern, her priority should be saving the state money.

    And I have no idea where you get the idea that she thinks the Iraq war was part of God’s plan. I would very much like to see a source for that. From everything that has been reported, she really hasn’t discussed her views of the war, but it appears she is very supportive of the military, and I think it would be okay to assume she shares McCain’s view of the Iraq war. And McCain certainly hasn’t called the war part of God’s plan.

    I love Sarah Palin. I really do. I think she is a true reformer and I think she is similar to John McCain in that respect. And I’m very supportive of weeding out corruption in both parties and John McCain and Sarah Palin are willing to do it. Sarah Palin ran for governor against the corrupt Republican incumbent in the primary and beat him. She then ran against the entrenched Democrat and beat him too. She then went on to enact ethics legislation and weed out people from both parties who were corrupt. I read about this before the primaries and was very impressed with her, and it is why I am so impressed with John McCain for picking her. It wasn’t a safe pick, but I think it was a very ethical one.

    Now if you are a one-issue voter, and that issue is abortion, then she’s not the candidate for you. But if you look carefully at the other issues you’ve raised, and really look at her record, not the hysterical media frenzy taking place right now, you will find things you could happily support.

  4. Doug Smith said,

    That’s my Girl. I couldn’t have said it better.

  5. Evil Twin's Wife said,

    You know we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one, friend. Love ya anyway!

  6. Tina said,

    I hear ya, girl. People need to realize that abortion is a personal choice and not a religious or political thing. I am highly pro-choice and although I probably wouldn’t have an abortion myself (I would have the kid unless there are extreme circumstances)I have no right to tell another woman what to do. That’s her business. I have known a few girls in the past to get abortions for whatever reasons. It’s obviously not an easy decision. I know it must be difficult. A girl will go through enough emotional stress. She doesn’t need the government deciding FOR her.

    Also, if it’s illegal again women are still going to have them. The only difference is it won’t be safe and they will go back to the old days of quacks hacking at them.
    Their higher power has the only right to judge when the time comes. Like you, I don’t think it should be used as a form of birth control. Actual birth control is MUCH cheaper! But things happen.

    As far as sex ed I think people should be honest, not necessarily hardcore. You just tell the kids the truth and not sugarcoat anything or expect them to practice abstinence. Most teenagers are going to fuck. It’s reality. Not all of them, but a parent is in denial if they think their kids will never “do it.” I did it at a young age, but I was fully aware of the “consequences.” My mom just basically sat me down and told it like it was. She didn’t bullshit around. I am not saying she ran out and bought me a case of condoms and said “go to it” but she made sure I was “aware” of protection, pregnancy, STD’s, etc.

    Actually, come to think of it if they want to get “hardcore” why don’t they have these kids actually WATCH a baby come into the world? Take them on a field trip to an actual hospital. I am sure that would scare the shit out of some of them to be more responsible. I am 36 and it scares me just watching it on TV! Have them talk to actual teenagers who are trying to raise these babies. Let them watch women in labor. Let them see people who are dying of AIDS or what happens to you when you contract an STD. As far as the emotional issues regarding sex I don’t think you can really explain it. You just have to warn them and let them find out for themselves.

    As far as Palin I haven’t had time to catch up on what she’s all about. So far I don’t like what I hear. I just know I don’t give a rat’s ass if her daughter is pregnant. On the other hand she’s a damn hypocrite if she promotes abstinence.

  7. Vince said,

    You scared me for a second there, girlie.

    I had pretty much the same impression of Ms. Palin. Hearing her speech last night (much of it as I could stand) I heard the same old tired right wing propaganda. The party faithful ate it up. She presented it well, but it was still tired.

    I always learn something new and unexpected about you. Didn’t know you’d lived abroad, though I’m not surprised.

  8. kenju said,

    I agree with all of it, Inanna, and I don’t care how fast Mars is warming, only Earth.

  9. Zelda said,

    Kenju – you might want to think about caring because if the Earth’s warming trend is caused by solar output, just like Mars’, then humans are not causing climate change and we can concentrate on finding the most efficient and cost effective sources of renewable energy instead of panicking and switching to things like ethanol which is not cost effective or efficient and raises the cost of food. That hurts us, but it hurts developing countries far more.

    Take a good look at each candidate’s energy plans. Also take a look at Alaska’s current plan and the one Sarah Palin wants. Try to do it impartially. It’s only then you can see past the media obfuscation.

  10. blackpunkin said,

    Cybele, yeah, Ann died.

    Zelda:

    Nanner responds: Governor Palin stated she would not support Federal funding for “explicit sex education,” you are correct. However, an explanation on “explicit” would be nice, however, this does give her room to back-peddle. I’ve read varying accounts on her stance on contraceptives, but 100% state she favors abstinence only education, not a combination of the two.

    Nanner responds: I don’t recall discussing the teaching of creationism in schools, but since you brought it up, I have no fear of dialogue regarding the teaching of both evolution and creationism.

    Zelda wrote: “As for visiting Russia, Alaska is a big state. I live in Texas and I’ve never been to Mexico because while it borders Mexico, it’s still 8 hours away. I think this is a rather unfair dig. She knows what is going on there and why we should not be dependent on their oil. ”

    Nanner responds: This is true, Zelda, but you are not running for the 2nd highest office in the country, she is. Visiting Alaskan troops in Kuwait is not the same as visiting with heads of state, just like knowing what is going on, is far different from seeing what is going on and discussing it with your equals and peers from other countries.

    Zelda wrote: “And the jury is most decidedly out on the subject of human caused global warming. Mars is also warming at a faster rate than the Earth. Obviously there are no humans on Mars. One theory is that solar output is the main cause of global warming/cooling and that humans have only a very small effect. Not enough to make a significant difference in climate.”

    Nanner responds: Based on your reasoning, the Earth, being closer to the sun, and therefore solar output, should be warming faster than Mars. Given that Mars has been explored only by machines, and the chances of us having the same prolonged scientific evidence that we have of Earth is slim, I’ll stick to my original statement that I believe the Earth cycles, as everything does, but humans are contributing to the warming of our planet, which is supported by several studies which have appeared in peer reviewed scientific journals including Nature and UCAR. I believe that saying the “jury is decidedly out” is pushing it.

    Zelda wrote: “And she went with the Canadian company to put in the pipeline because they were the lowest bidder. Her job is to save the taxpayers money. The only Americans who don’t get that money are the corporations because Alaskans be the ones working that pipeline regardless of who has the contract. But really, there are no shortage of jobs in Alaska. I know because Jethro and I seriously considered moving there. Apparently they need chiropractors and members of just about any other profession you can think of. I think, as long as jobs are not a concern, her priority should be saving the state money.”

    Nanner responds: So, because at this time unemployment is not a serious factor in ALASKA, then we shouldn’t worry about her policies? In as far as who will be working the pipeline, I’d like to see your source that says Alaskans will be working the pipeline. Was that in the bill that was passed? If so, I can pull a copy up and take a look at it. If not, I fail to see how a Canadian corporation, building a pipeline on Canadian soil, is going to care about employing Alaskans or any other American (during the building) unless it was in the legislation.

    Zelda wrote: “And I have no idea where you get the idea that she thinks the Iraq war was part of God’s plan. I would very much like to see a source for that. From everything that has been reported, she really hasn’t discussed her views of the war, but it appears she is very supportive of the military, and I think it would be okay to assume she shares McCain’s view of the Iraq war. And McCain certainly hasn’t called the war part of God’s plan.”

    Nanner responds: There is a video of the speech she gave at Huffington Post. Right at 6 minutes into the video is where she speaks of the Iraq War. She states that our national leaders are sending them [the soldiers] out on a task from God. Then she talks about it being God’s plan. There is also a Washington Post blurb of the contents of the speech.

    Zelda wrote: “I love Sarah Palin. I really do. I think she is a true reformer and I think she is similar to John McCain in that respect. And I’m very supportive of weeding out corruption in both parties and John McCain and Sarah Palin are willing to do it. Sarah Palin ran for governor against the corrupt Republican incumbent in the primary and beat him. She then ran against the entrenched Democrat and beat him too. She then went on to enact ethics legislation and weed out people from both parties who were corrupt. I read about this before the primaries and was very impressed with her, and it is why I am so impressed with John McCain for picking her. It wasn’t a safe pick, but I think it was a very ethical one.”

    Nanner responds: Sarah Palin filed an ethic’s complaint against herself regarding the firing of an individual, supposedly due to his refusal to fire her ex-brother-in-law, who was involved in a custody dispute with her sister. We await the results, since it has been moved to a forum which the Governor selected herself. I cannot assume why, other than she has already stated that her staff, supposedly without her knowledge, put pressure on Monegan to fire her ex-bro-in-law. I’ll without further discussion on ethics until the decision and documents are decided and released in October.

    Zelda wrote: “Now if you are a one-issue voter, and that issue is abortion, then she’s not the candidate for you. But if you look carefully at the other issues you’ve raised, and really look at her record, not the hysterical media frenzy taking place right now, you will find things you could happily support.”

    Nanner responds: I think you know, Zelda, that I’m not a one-issue voter. I have looked at her record and there are some things that I agree with, such as the drilling and the renewable resources, however, the majority I do not.

    I have not subscribed to a hysterical media frenzy. I know how to read, I know how to read more than one source, and I know how to read between the lines and muddle through political side-stepping, on both sides of the ticket. I also respond disfavorably to religious rhetoric.

    I have other issues which I have not yet raised, but I will, and those, combined with the issues that I have already raised, convince me beyond a doubt that I will not be voting for John McCain and subsequently, Sarah Palin. I hope this wasn’t too confusing to read regarding what you wrote and how I responded. I always welcome your informed and differing opinion, tis one of the reasons I love you so.

    Doug: I call it like I see it.

    ETW: That we shall.

    Beanie: When I speak of “hardcore” I mean the flat out truth, similar to what you were discussing in your comment. Perhaps not the best choice of words, but I wanted to differenciate between abstinence and sex ed.

    Vince: Love, where have you been? Well, maybe you didn’t catch some of my earliest posts about living in Germany. I can handle right wing, but not extreme right wing, and she’s pretty extreme in some of her beliefs.

    Kenju, see my response regarding global warming to Zelda. There are several good articles about global warming, for and against the human influence. If you Google “solar variations” and “sunspot cycles” you can get some good ones.

    Zelda, my best guess is that Kenju feels the same way I do about global warming. There is and has been sufficient evidence that humans are contributing to global warming on a higher scale than sunspot cycles and solar variations. I cannot think of anyone, other than those who stand to lose millions on non-renewable resources, that aren’t looking for ways to become more independent and cleaner in their energy sources. It just makes sense, of course, some people dont’ have any sense, like the ones who are trying to stop the wind farm from going in Northern WV, while natural gas prices are going up over 200% this winter.

    If I had 12K, I’d have solar panels installed on the roof my house tomorrow. And then I’d use the money I save on the electric and selling power back to the electric company to buy myself a hybrid and then I’d run it off of my solar panel powered batteries. Green starts at home, not just with our government.

  11. Marie said,

    I agree wholeheartedly…and your facts ARE correct. Palin made the statement (and it was filmed) in her church, within the past month. There are a lot of facts to be discovered, which I have (extensive research) and this woman is not the right person for this job at this time.

  12. Marie said,

    ***so sorry, the statement Palin made was regarding the Iraq war being part of God’s plan.

  13. Tina said,

    ^That immediately got me pissed off when I heard that. What the fuck does she know? Does she have any family members that ACTUALLY served in Iraq? My brother did. Luckily he came back alive. He saw some shit that the news stations DIDN’T show. He saw friends blow up in his face. He saw little kids get killed. He saw the REAL shit that is otherwise sugarcoated by the news and our politicians.

    It’s GOD’S PLAN? I don’t think so. I have always supported my brother’s military career, but our troops NEED to be here, defending OUR country. I am not exactly against helping out other countries but there are TOO many of our troops being killed because of GREED.

    And besides, whenever God is brought into politics I am immediately on the defense. When are people going to realize that religion and politics don’t mix?

  14. Inanna said,

    Marie: I knew what you meant 🙂

    Beanie: Actually, Gov. Palin’s son is going to be deployed to Iraq, so, I guess we’ll see what the will of God has in store for him.

  15. Zelda said,

    I appreciate your response, Nanner. I hadn’t seen that interview, but I think some context is missing from her comment. And that’s the way it is in politics. One remark is heard loud and clear and the context is lost. Regardless of your opinion of the Iraq war, Sarah Palin’s and John McCain’s family have both stepped up to do what they think is right. And I think that speaks to both of them carefully considering the situation, which I don’t think should be discounted.

    Here’s another issue which speaks more to me. Taxes and spending. It’s a boring subject, but Sarah Palin actually gives it pizazz which makes me happy.

    Bush and the former Republican congress were correct in cutting taxes. This was a help to the economy at a crucial time. Where they failed (and failed hugely) was in not cutting spending at the same time. And I’m not talking about the Iraq war, or the military budget. Both combined comprise 19% of the federal budget, and the war itself is a temporary expense.

    I’m talking about pork. The money that each member of congress fights for so they can hand it out to their constituents as a bribe to keep them in office. Whether it’s welfare, a stupid museum, or a useless construction project, it eats up our GDP, and there is no end to the financing. A federally funded museum will never cease to be federally funded. And this goes on infinitely.

    WIthin the GOP there are reformers. Sarah Palin is one of them. John McCain is another. Taxes are important to them, but not as important as spending. And this is a really good thing. Sarah Palin did not lower taxes on the oil companies. But neither did she try to stifle their business. She did lower taxes for Alaskans. And she cut spending dramatically for unnecessary things.

    Right now Jethro and I, for the privilege of employing someone at a living wage, get to pay twice the FICA tax 4 times a year, then again at the end of the year. And then our employee has to pay on the same money again. And this on a business that is making no money yet. Not a dime.

    Mr. Obama has said that he will raise these taxes (among others).

    We cannot afford it. I mean, we’ll have to find some way to afford it if he wins, but we really can’t.

    And this doesn’t help out the working people. If we can’t afford to pay the payroll tax, we’ll have to dump our employee who is a divorced mother of two.

    Now if our taxes were being raised in order to pay down the debt, I’d feel somewhat better about it. But Obama has promised they will be raised in order to create new government programs and bureaucracies. So any money we get would not be used to offset the debt, but to create new ones.

    Ok. You’re not impressed with Sarah Palin’s ability to field-dress a moose. Fair enough. I wasn’t impressed with Bill Clinton’s ability to play the sax.

    But I am impressed with her understanding of small businesses and what it takes to run them, and how the government

  16. Zelda said,

    Woah. Published before I was ready.

    I meant to say, how the government stifles them.

    I want to write more, but I’ve been drinking and I’m tired. Social issues are irrelevant to me. Sarah Palin has no more ability to effect social policy than you or me. But she does have the ability to effect energy policy, spending policy, and tax policy. I really hope that McCain choosing her means he is serious about controlling spending and not raising taxes. I don’t know if anyone realizes how imortant that is.

    As for global warming, I remain agnostic regarding human involvement. I am very much in favor of finding alternative sources of energy, but I am hesitant to find it from crops which will affect the world food supply. McCain and Palin are not indebted to the oil industry but I think they will oversee the use of our current oil resources prudently while at the same time encouraging the development of alternative sources. I don’t know what Obama will do, but I am sure of his reluctance to drill, which will keep the costs of oil high for the short term, and continue our dependance on foreign oil for even longer.

    I get irritated whenever I hear someone freaking out over a politician’s personal beliefs, because they don’t mean anything. Ok. Someone believes in God. Fine. Who cares? I don’t care if they’re a bearded lady with three testicles and four nipples with a pagan mother and a priest for a father. What is important to me is their policy which I only know from their records.

    Obama’s record, what little their is of it, shows me that he panders, funnels tax money to shady characters, and refuses to take a stand on anything if it can be avoided.

    No, I will not be voting for him. But the reasons stem from his policy and that alone.

  17. Zelda said,

    I guess I did write more than intended. Happens with alcohol consumption. I love you dearly, Nanner, and I wasn’t meaning to accuse you of buying into the media frenzy. But I’ve known about Sarah Palin for a couple of years now, and I’ve been impressed with her. And the facts I’ve known about her have not been revealed by the media who are hell-bent on uncovering dirt about her family and finding inconsistencies (which can be found if you scrutinize any politician). I just hope they decide to eventually vet Obama as thoroughly, but with more accuracy and truth.

  18. Inanna said,

    Zelda, I’m really tired myself today and I have a horrible cold/sinus/bronchitis thing again, however, I was just wondering where you heard that Obama was going to raise taxes on small businesses, which I’m sure you fall under.

    From the Obama website:

    Provide Tax Relief for Small Businesses and Start Up Companies: Barack Obama will eliminate all capital gains taxes on start-up and small businesses to encourage innovation and job creation. Obama will also support small business owners by providing a $500 “Making Work Pay” tax credit to almost every worker in America. Self-employed small business owners pay both the employee and the employer side of the payroll tax, and this measure will reduce the burdens of this double taxation.

    I’m not an economist, and I look at these numbers and think they may be small beans. It may have more impact on larger small businesses than yours, because I work for a small business that has a larger payroll. I’m not certain, however, its not a raise in taxes, its a cut and a credit. Again, not an economist, so I’m not certain what impact this will have.

    In as far as the speech that Sarah Palin gave, why not just watch it and see if it was taken out of context. I am intelligent enough and not hell bent enough to take something out of context to prove a point. For example, there’s crap all over the Internet about how Sarah Palin cut funding for special needs children. This is completely untrue. Governor Palin overhauled the school system and through the year 2011 will increase funding for special needs children and rural school systems.
    If you take the budget “out of context” then it does appear she cut funding, but she merely increased it somewhere else.

    And quite frankly, I take offense to the fact you would even think that I’m so intent on proving a point that I would lie, which is what taking things out of context amounts to. Furthermore, I fail to see in what context could possibly change the implications of what she said… paraphrased: Our government is sending our soldiers to Iraq on a task from God. I’m surprised that you didn’t watch the video, very surprised.

    Freaking out about personal beliefs “because they don’t mean anything”? When it becomes the platform on which you stand, yes, ma’am, I have an issue with it, especiall in light of the above paragraph, it does mean something. When extreme right wing personal religious beliefs will influence decisions for an entire country, yes, I have issues with it. She hasn’t, during her term as Alaska’s governor, tried to implement legislation, etc. in regard to those beliefs? No she hasn’t, but she’s only been governor a year and a half. Very difficult to get a broad understanding of her policies from a year and a half.

    I’m surprised also that you said that social issues were irrelevant to you. That’s 95-98% of what platforms are all about. Abortion, education, environment, evolution vs. creationism, gay rights, global warming, gun control, health insurance, immigration, poverty, religion in politics, war, teen sex, etc, etc. Literally, everything other than tax and spending. You made the comment before, “Now if you are a one-issue voter, and that issue is abortion, then she’s not the candidate for you.”

    Based on the fact that social issues are irrelevant to you, your words, then doesn’t that make you a one to two-issue voter?

    I wasn’t impressed with Bill Clinton playing sax either and I am for alternative sources of energy. I think you will find Barak Obama’s energy solutions to meet or exceed your expectations. Just as you said to me, if you look at the issues and do your research, I think there’s a lot about the Obama campaign that you could support as well, including tax and spending.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: